- To provide students in higher education with technical experience relevant to their studies
- To offer employers well-qualified and motivated trainees
- To be a source of cultural enrichment for trainees and their host communities
- To operate a high quality practical training exchange program between members in order to enhance technical and professional development
- To promote international understanding, co-operation and trust amongst students, academic institutions, employers and the wider community
- To operate irrespective of race, colour, gender, culture, religious or political beliefs, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression. To promote non-discriminatory practices.
The core activity of the Association is the exchange of trainees for technical experience on a bilateral or multilateral basis and the further development of these services.
The Association is an independent, non-political and non-governmental body.